mise en abyme

Pronounced: mee-zan-nah-BEEM, noun

Notes: I didn’t know this word

Yesterday’s word

The word clinquant means, as an adjective, “glittering; decked out with tinsel of garish finery or jewelry”. As a noun, it means “imitation gold leaf; gold tinsel”

First usage

This word came into English in the late 1500s

Background / Comments

The word comes from middle French clinking, the past participle of clinquer, which comes from the Dutch word klinken (to sound). I don’t really mess around with fine art stuff, which may be why I haven’t run across this word.

Published by Richard

Christian, lover-of-knowledge, Texan, and other things.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: