Pronounced: ih-FUHL-juhnt (alt: ih-FOOL-juhnt), adj

Notes: Another unknown word to me

Yesterday’s word

The word galumph means “to move clumsily or heavily”

First usage

Our word came into English in the mid-1800s

Background / Comments

Our word is another one coined by Lewis Carroll in Through the Looking-Glass (as I have previously noted, the correct title is Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There, published in 1871). It is from the poem “Jabberwocky” found in the book and is supposedly a combination of gallop and triumph. I’m not quite sure how this comes to mean clumsily or heavily.

Published by Richard

Christian, lover-of-knowledge, Texan, and other things.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: