Pronounced: rue-AYE (long a), noun

Notes: This is a word that most everybody has heard, but may not realize that they have heard it, or even what it means.

Yesterday’s word

The word chiaroscuro is “the distribution of light and shade in a picture or sketch”

First usage

Our word came into English in the late 1600s

Background / Comments

I don’t think I’ve run across this word; it seems somewhat technical to me. However, I don’t know much about art, so maybe people who are familiar with art will recognize it. Our word comes from the Italian word chiaroscuro, which is composed of chiaro (bright), which comes from the Latin word clārus and+ oscuro (dark), which comes from the Latin word obscūrus.

Published by Richard

Christian, lover-of-knowledge, Texan, and other things.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: