Pronounced: rih-FEKT, verb

Notes: This just looks like a misspelling of “reflect” to me

Yesterday’s word

The word mackle, as a noun, means “a blured mark in printing as from a double stroke or impression”. As a verb, it means “to make or print a blurred mark (as from a double impression in printing)”

First usage

Our word came into English in the late 1500s

Background / Comments

I’ve certainly run across a mackle in printed material; I expect you have as well. Our word had earlier variants: macle and makle, which came from the even earlier word macule, but these have all meant the same thing. The original word macule came from the Latin word macula (spot; blemish).

Published by Richard

Christian, lover-of-knowledge, Texan, and other things.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: