Pronounced: KRAM-oy-zee (alt: kruh-MOY-zee), adj/noun

Notes: I don’t think I’ve run across this word

Yesterday’s word

The word chuffed is British slang for “pleased or delighted”; oddly enough, it can also mean the opposite: “annoyed or displeased”

First usage

Our word came into English in the mid-1800s

Background / Comments

I’ve only heard this used for the first meaning (pleased/delighted). Our word comes from chuff (to please or delight), which comes from an obsolete meaning of chuff (a puffed out cheek).

Published by Richard

Christian, lover-of-knowledge, Texan, and other things.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: