Pronounced: THEE-uh-jee, noun

Notes: I had this word confused with another one

Yesterday’s word

The word sadiron is “a heavy flatiron pointed at both ends and having a detachable handle”

First usage

This word came into English in the mid-1700s

Background / Comments

This is a word whose etymology is more interesting to me than the word itself. Our word is simply a combination of sad and iron. However, what I didn’t know (did you?) is that sad has an obsolete sense of “heavy, solid” – and it is this meaning that is used in our word. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a sadiron.

Published by Richard

Christian, lover-of-knowledge, Texan, and other things.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: