Pronounced: HOE-kum, noun

Notes: I wasn’t sure about this word; there are two meanings.

Yesterday’s word

The word claque is

  • a group hired to applaud at a performance
  • a group of servile flatterers
First usage

This word came into English in the mid-1800s

Background / Comments

Our word comes from French; the verb for “to clap” is claquer (the noun form is claque). When the word came into English, it was common in French theater culture to infiltrate the audience with hired members. These claque were given money and free tickets to laugh, cry, clap, etc at the right moment, hopefully encouraging the rest of the audience

Published by Richard

Christian, lover-of-knowledge, Texan, and other things.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: